Dosage & administration :
by mouth, 10–20 mg 3–4 times daily; 30 minutes before meals and before going to
5-12 years old 10 mg 3–4 times daily; 30 minutes before meals and before going
Children under 5 years :
Motildon not used under this age.
Motildon (domperidone) is contraindicated in the following situations :
* Known hypersensitivity for Domperidone or any excipients.
* Prolactin - releasing pituitary tumor (prolactinoma).
* Co-administration with potent CYP3A4 which prolong QTc interval such as
fluconazole ketoconazole erythromycin...etc.
When antacids or antisecretory agents are used, they should not be taken
simultaneously with Motildon.
* Renal impairment :
It is advisable to reduce dose.
* Hepatic impairment :
It is advisable to be used with caution.
* Breast feeding :
The amount excreted in human breast milk is probably too small, but it is not
known whether this is harmful to the newborn therefore breast- feeding is not
recommended for mothers who are taking Motildon.
It is advisable to avoid during pregnancy.
Drug interaction :
- Amantadine increased risk of extrapyramidal side-effects when Motildon given
- Antimuscarinics effects of Motildon on gastro-intestinal activity antagonised
by antimuscarinics Many drugs have antimuscarinic effects; concomitant use of
two or more such drugs can increase side-effects such as dry mouth, urine
retention, and constipation; concomitant use can also lead to confusion in the
- Bromocriptine Motildon possibly antagonises hypoprolactinaemic effects of
- Cabergoline Motildon antagonises hypoprolactinaemic effects of cabergoline.
- Ketoconazole risk of arrhythmias with Motildon possibly increased by
- Opioid Analgesics effects of Motildon on gastro-intestinal activity
antagonised by opioid analgesics.
Side Effects :
* Rarely gastro-intestinal disturbances (including cramps) and
hyperprolactinaemia; very rarely extrapyramidal effects and rashes.
* Motildon causes headaches and the problems resulting from an elevation of
serum prolactin (breast enlargement and tenderness, galactorrhea, amenorrhea).
Instructions to the patients:
- Motildon relieves nausea and vomiting, dyspepsia, gastro-oesophageal reflux.
- Tell your doctor or pharmacist: about all other medicines you are taking,
including non-prescription medicines; if you are a frequent user of drinks with
caffeine or alcohol; if you smoke; or if you use illegal drugs. These may affect
the way your medicine works. Check before stopping or starting any of your
Pregnancy & lactation :
Generally it is not recommended in pregnancy & lactation.